Tuesday, August 5, 2014

7 ways to clean up nail polish!

I haven't kept up with this blog for a couple months now.  I had some health issues which will be temporarily resolved next week.  I also celebrated my 29th birthday last week!!  The boyfriend took me to Sea World and I absolutely loved it!  My nails were perfect for it, I do believe!!


Anyway...Today, I want to share a few ways of removing nail polish!  Even the most stubborn glittered nail polish can be removed easily.  Here are just a few ways!!

1.  Cotton ball and acetone 

This method is quite simple.  All that you need to do is tear a cotton ball into several pieces and soak them in acetone or non acetone nail polish remover.  After you have soaked the cotton balls, you place one piece across your nail and hold firmly for about ten seconds to make sure that it is soaking into the polish.  I usually leave these on my nails for up to ten minutes.  After pulling them off, I take on cotton ball with acetone or non acetone polish remover and clean up the remaining polish.

2.  Pure Acetone
This is Onyx Professional Remover.  It is 100% pure acetone and I swear by it!!  You can purchase it at Wal-Mart for under $3.  I removes nail polish and glitter polish quickly and easily!  It says it can remove artificial nails but I cannot confirm or deny it due to not having artificial nails.

3.  Aluminum Foil and acetone
I personally don't use foil that is specifically for nails like this brand above.  In my honest opinion, it is MUCH cheaper to go to the dollar store and buy a roll of foil for $1.  To use this method, cut several pieces of aluminum foil and tear a cotton ball into 2 or 3 pieces (depending on the size of your nails).  Take the cotton ball and dip it in acetone.  After you have soaked your cotton ball, place it firmly onto your nail and wrap the aluminum foil around your finger.  Most people say that you should only leave it on your nails for about five minutes but I have found that it cleans the hardest of glitter polishes in about ten minutes.  After you remove the foil, use another cotton ball to clean up the remaining polish.  

4.  Whitening tooth paste (cleaning up stains on your nails)

I've had some issues with certain polishes staining my nails and I have found this to be the most reliable way to clean it up.  I keep an old toothbrush with my nail tools just for this reason.  I usually wash my hands first and towel dry leaving them slightly wet.  Then apply the toothpaste to each nail ensuring they are completely covered.  I allow the toothpaste to sit on my nails for two minutes before I begin scrubbing with the old toothbrush.  I scrub them for a few minutes and rinse the toothpaste off of one nail to check if they are clean.  If they are, I completely wash my hands and make sure all toothpaste has been washed out from under my nails as well as on them.  If they are not back to a natural color, I scrub my nails for a few more minutes and repeat the process until they are at my standards.

5.  Olive oil, baking soda, and lemon juice (for removing stains)


I personally do not like this method but I have tried it and it does work.  It's simple.  Just mix about two spoons of lemon juice and olive oil with one fourth cup of baking soda.  Stir it well.  After you have stirred it, you can apply it to your nails two different ways.  You can either "soak" your nails into the bowl for about five minutes or you can use an old toothbrush and scrub your nails with the mixture for about five minutes.  I like to just soak my nails when using this method.  

6.  Vaseline
Using Vaseline is really easy and probably the smartest thing to do to prevent messy manicures.  Just apply it around your nails on the skin.  When your nails are dry, just wipe away the Vaseline and it will clean up the excess polish that would normally require using acetone and a cleaning brush.

7.  Lotion
When I remember that I own Vaseline's line of lotion, I apply it around my nails before doing my manicure.  After my nails have dried completely, I just wipe away the excess polish that has been left behind.  Any lotion will work but I love this brand!  

That's all!  Easy peasy!!   Hopefully, your clean up times will get a little shorter and you can fully enjoy your beautiful manicures!!

--B

No comments:

Post a Comment